Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Working ~and Playing~ for a Living

Today was quite a long day for my family and I. We woke up at about 5:30 this morning in order to head down to Wyoming to pick up some fencing and corral supplies. After quite a bit of coffee, my family left the house at around 6:30 a.m. It was my parents, my younger sister, and my two younger brothers. I'm not a morning person so I was crabby most of the morning, just cuz. After a few hour drive we arrived at the site where the company that my cousin works for sells discount panels, t-posts, and wooden posts. Everything sold at this site was lightly used and salvaged from oil and natural gas wells, so we got a great deal. I mean, like, GREAT! If you should know anything about me, it's that there's nothing I like more than a great deal. Except maybe coffee... Anywho, we loaded up 40 16-foot panels, 20 12-foot panels, and 20 12-foot panels with walk through gates on our gooseneck trailer by hand. We also loaded up about 100 t-posts and 25 wooden posts, this time by a skid steer. Manual labor is overrated anyway, right?? My sister and I also spotted a bent (aka free!) gate about 20 feet long and 3 feet tall that we thought would be perfect for a parking space by the house. No one knows what we are doing with it yet, so I'm hoping to cement it in one day as a surprise. To get the bend out I'll just have to lay it on the ground, bend up, and run it over with the skid steer. Nifty trick huh? When we finish I'll show you how it comes out. My sister and I also found a little sign holder that pushes into the ground. Ever since we moved to our current ranch I always thought we needed a sign. Now I just have to make a little something to insert then put it at the end of the driveway.

After all that commotion my baby cousin had his 1st birthday party. It's pretty conveinent that we we're able to get a little work in or there's no way my dad would have been okay spending a perfectly good Saturday at a party. So we were there for about two hours. Yes, two whole hours! I know it sounds crazy, but everyone, and by everyone I mean my dad and brothers, know that daylight is not for parties. After the party, everyone else headed home with our load while my sister and I did some grocery shopping before leaving town. We took seperate cars because 6 people in an extended cab pickup is about two or three too many. Maybe we're just spoiled. Or maybe it's a horrible experience riding in any vehicle with my loudmouth/ADHD brothers. One of the two ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment