Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bedtime Thoughts

You know when you're laying in bed and your mind is just racing? Good. Me too. Tomorrow I'm headed to town to do an ABCs of Farm Safety demonstration for 2nd and 5th graders. This is a program done through the Farm Bureau Federation. You know how I was saying I was just going to jump in and see how it goes? Well, I wasn't kidding. Now what could possibly cause me to be restless about that, you may ask. Well... a few things. Firstly, I have dreams of one day owning a dairy cow and naming her Pam. Oh never mind. That has to do with my love of dairy products, not the ABCs of Farm Safety. Okay, do over.

Firstly, I dread public speaking. It's making me a little nauseous thinking about it right now. Why is it so hard? I'm a naturally shy person and this is something I've battled my entire life. Oh, how I wish I could be like those outgoing people who can talk to anyone and speak in front of a thousand people and not get nervous!! But, I'm not. In high school I decided that I was no longer going to be shy. I joined Speech and Drama. Yes, I was a Speech and Drama nerd. I say that affectionately. Was I any good? Heck no. Three years I did duo acting, serious and humorous, depending on the year. On year I did expository speech. I was terrible at all of it. But I still did it, to push my boundaries and hopefully cure my stage fright. Then I did this crazy thing and I tried out for the cheerleading squad. Formerly being a basketball and volleyball player, this was no easy step. So, I made the squad and cheered for three years. By the time I was a senior I didn't bat an eye at being out in front of everyone. I guess dancing and cheering were just different than public speaking. Yes, that was all in explanation of the first reason. So, now I think I'm less shy than I used to be. Public speaking doesn't freak me out quite as much as it used to. And, let's face it. They're 2nd and 5th graders! They're going to be happy just to get out of class! Besides, I love kids. I'm really looking forward to it.

The second reason is that the woman I'm doing the presentation with is also helping me coordinate the Young Farmers and Ranchers event that I'm putting on in May. So this means that I'd like to have some information to show her. The only thing is the other young lady we are working with has been very busy with other things. She works in Wyoming and has a 5 year-old son, so it's not really her fault that she doesn't have time. At the same time, if I would have known this was going to be the deal, I could have taken on more responsibility to make it easier for all of us. But, unfortunately, I can't really do what I need to do until she does what she needs to do. I like to be prepared. I like to be in control. So, this is causing me major stress.

Anyway, those are my bedtime thoughts. Now I'm going to actually go to bed. Big day tomorrow. I think I'll have a nice little dream about Pam and all the delicious milk she is going to make for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment