Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away

When I lived in Minnesota, rain came as regularly as the phases of the moon. I remember it would rain almost every evening in the summertime. Sitting out on the deck and listening to the thunder was something that we loved to do as a family. I never even knew a place existed that it didn't rain at least once a week in the spring, summer, and fall. Then we moved to Montana in the middle of a drought. The dry climate was so hard on me that I had nosebleeds almost every single day at first. It was such a shock to me that people could live in a place with no rain. Thankfully, every year since I've moved to Montana the rain has been increasing gradually as the drought has declined. Last year the spring rain was so dramatic that all across Montana dams were overpowered, roads washed out, and acres and acres of farm land were flooded. This year it has been a bit of a dry spring, with very little rain to speak of in my corner of the state. Then, when it did rain it seemed to stop just 10 or 15 miles south of us. So we've been praying for rain, and asking the rain gods to smile upon us, and, yes, even doing rain dances. My rain dance was answered and it has been raining, and raining, and raining. Since Friday evening, it has literally been nothing but nonstop rain here. I'm not even joking. Sometimes the rain comes down in sheets, but mostly it's been a slow drizzle. Now, here I am, in the first time since I've moved to Montana, wishing the rain would let up. Ya know, just stop for one beautiful summer day. Then it can go again for as long as it wants, within reason. It's a little bit sacrilegious around here to want rain to stop. People just don't do it. And, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the rain. I'm thankful that our alfalfa crop already looks like it has grown taller and greener since Friday. I'm thankful that southeastern Montana is not in a drought anymore. But c'mon.

Rain, rain, go away. Come back another day.
How's next week sometime? Kay, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment