Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Women in Agriculture

There's a saying I hear a lot around here. It goes, "Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town." I think we can all admit that being a rancher's wife has got to be one of the most demanding jobs there is. Not only do they usually work in town, but they come home and do ranch work, feed their family, clean up after their family, and do whatever else needs to be done. I respect these women- my mother is one of these women. However, I do not necessarily want to be one of these women. My parents have always instilled independence in me. From a young age my mom made sure that I knew that in order to be fully independent I would have to get a college degree and have a way to support myself. I'm getting my college degree in Business Administration so that I can make the best business choices possible in agriculture. I'm slowly building my herd, and ultimately, my credibility in what is a male-dominated field. What I'm saying is, I don't want to be a rancher's wife. I want to be a rancher. I want to be able to tell people that I have my own spread and my own herd and I earned it all on my own. And don't get me wrong, my parents raised me right. I know how to cook and clean, but I also know how to run a swather and had my first horse at the age of 3. Of course, one day I would love to settle down and do the family thing. But for now, it's not my main focus. I just don't see myself getting married unless I know I can fully support myself and, if needed, my family. Heck, maybe the new saying will be, "Behind every successful rancher is a husband who works in town." Not likely, but you never know. Anyway, I know more and more women who plan on taking over their family ranch or starting their own. They are getting their degree in business, science, genetics, or anything agriculture-related. I honestly feel proud to be part of this group of women. We know what we want, and we are making it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment