Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Babysitter Cows and Baby Calves

I'm not sure if every herd is like this, but we have certain cows who like to babysit the calves. The mamas of those calves graze further off and return to the calves to feed them. Then, we have cows who prefer to distance themselves and their calves from the herd. I guess its all in their parenting style, huh?

Two Babysitter Cows and a Few Calves

A Loner Cow and Her Calf. How cute are the little black baldies!?

A Mama, a Calf, and Two Soon-to-be Moms

A Mama Eating Hay and the Baby Relaxing

2 comments:

  1. I can't say for sure but I think all cow herds are like that. At least mine are. The funny thing is sometimes the cows will leave the babies with me. I will be out repairing fence or some other ranch work and herd will come by next thing I know all the babies will be laying about 30 yards from me with all the cows gone. I use to think it was a fluke but after a few times I knew something was up.

    If you don't think cows are that smart. Last year I was doing some work by the pens. I noticed a cow grazing in the pasture on the way. I knew she had a three week old calf, but didn't see it. She followed to the pens and started balling of the calf. She keep coming closer to me. I realized something was up but she wouldn't look for it until I started to follow her. She lead me across the pasture to the fence and started balling. The calf got up on the neighbor's side and wouldn't go through the fence. I had to go get for her. That cow knew exactly what she was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about herds all having babysitter cows. It's funny though, sometimes the cows hide their babies and you know if you're coming up on one because that cow will start heading straight for it, even if she's 100 yards off. That is a pretty cool story. I'm pretty sure my cows would just plow through the fence. They have a hard time respecting boundaries, ha. And I completely agree, cows are a lot more intelligent than most people give them credit for. Thanks for reading!

      Delete