Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Doing the Right Thing

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but my ranch is a commercial operation. We raise steers until they are around 6 months old and then sell them to a feed lot. Pretty soon we are also going to start selling first-cross Baldy bred heifers. I know there are some stigmas out there about commercial ranchers, and knowing some of the people I do, I can see where that comes from. The goal of my family, and especially me, is to give every animal on the ranch a happy, safe, healthy, and humane life. However short or long that life may be. I don't understand how you could work alongside livestock day after day and not develop an attachment to them. I can't help it, at least. If we have a sick or dying animal we always do everything we can to save it. If it can't be saved and it is in pain, we humanely end its life. We don't find any pleasure in this and every loss is an emotional and financial loss. There have been many times that we have lost a calf or a wonderful cow that I've cried. And don't get me wrong, the ranch is a business. We have a bottom dollar, but not at the expense of our livestock. One thing I've noticed is that when you treat your cows with kindness and work with them gently, they will be gentle and kind in return. I honestly take pride in the fact that I can walk out in the open pasture with the cows and they don't run away in fear. They stand there and continue eating. Some even come up to me to say hi. Of course, you will always have a crazy one, or two. That can't be changed. At the same time, I have neighbors who have all crazy cows. These cows aren't naturally crazy, they're afraid of what happens to them when they are worked or being moved or whatever. Some ranchers think that they can abuse their cattle and it doesn't make a difference. It does. A 1500 pound animal that is afraid is a lot more likely to cause problems than one that is content. There is a marked difference between the way our cattle behave compared to the more aggressive cattlemen. Even so, there are always times when you can't help but to be a little aggressive with the cows. I find that these times are usually when a cow could get hurt, like trying to push through a barbed wire fence to get to hay. In fact, one of my cows aborted this year not long after she jumped a hay pen fence. Now if I see a cow in a hay pen I get anxious. Once they get a taste of it, they keep wanting to go back for more, even if they almost kill themselves in the process. Anyway, I just got to thinking about how I honestly love ranching and if hurting the animals in any way would make me a million dollars, I still wouldn't do it.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -General Normal Schwarzkopf

4 comments:

  1. I agree 100%! You are doing a GREAT job on your stories! I am enjoying reading them! I almost un-followed though when you went and grabbed the "four wheeler" instead a "horse" to get the cow out of the hay field...haha...jk. Sounds like you have everything under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I'm getting into a rhythm now. On the four wheeler, my horse was way out in the pasture and I wanted to make sure the cows didn't think they could get away with being where they can't be! We actually didn't even have a four wheeler, just by principal, until this summer. The cows are still a little anxious if they hear it coming so I thought it might be a little more effective than a horse anyway! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I was just funnin' ya on the whole pro/anti ranching four wheeler thing. I'm a big fan of doing things the way that is best for the situation, at the time, with whatcha got. By the time I will be able to afford a four wheeler, they'll 'hover' instead of 'touch' the ground. Don't mean to over comment over here, so I'll put it here....I was rolling on some of those bizarre Montana laws!!! How did some of those even come up? I googled crazy/bizarre Missouri laws, and laughed some more...there's some dandy city laws. Dug deeper and found some more,laughed, and then looked over a list of every state and about cried! That stuff is funny! Thank-you! Lets get Double H Photo to take a pic of a rabbit during the month of June, then have her thrown in jail....lol. Feel free to delete this comment if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't delete a comment. They make me look legit! I'm glad you enjoyed the Bizarre Montana Laws. Things like that make my day.

      Delete