Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

When All Else Fails, Use a Four Wheeler

I have yet another Michelle is the Bravest of Them All story for you. I know what you're thinking, could she possibly get anymore fearless? The answer is; heck yes. Yesterday, as my mom and I were on our afternoon walk, we discovered three renegade cows in one of our hay yards. The gate was wide open so I can only assume it was operator error on my brothers' parts. One of these particular cows belongs to me, so I assume that she probably started it all. She really loves alfalfa, can you blame a girl?! So, in pure determination to show those cows who is boss, I handed my water to my mom. With a steely gaze told her, "I got this." I marched into the hay pen with my ferocious cow dog, DJ at my side. I came around and started to push them out. My cow and another cooperated and started back out right away. The third cow, however is a little... skittish. Yea, that's the word. I'd say crazy, but she's really not. She just doesn't like people or dogs, especially not in close proximity to her. Especially when they are trying to chase her away from a perfectly good meal of alfalfa hay bales. As the other two cows are headed out, this one was looking me straight in the eye. All I could think is, she's more afraid of you than you are of her. That's what they always say anyway. I moved closer and she just stood there, looking at me with a menacing expression. So I moved closer again. This time I told my wickedly ferocious cattle dog to attack her. He just looked at me. Oh yea, I haven't gotten to that part of his training yet. Then I did what all cattlemen (cattlewomen?) do when they can't get a cow to move by sheer intimidation. I yelled at her! I told her to get her big old butt out of that pen before I came back with the four wheeler and chased her down! It worked. She ran like heck. You shoulda seen the look on her face. I was glad that I could finish my walk with some pride of a job well done. As I walked away from the pen though, I noticed that same cow go back to the pen and try to push through the barbed wire. So then I came back with the four wheeler and chased her down. Hey, I warned her.

No comments:

Post a Comment